Wednesday 9 May 2012

Thank You


After 24 years, I am leaving the place I have loved since the minute I stepped into one of its classrooms on that sunny but very cold day in January, 1988. I was nervous, excited and inordinately grateful for my good fortune. It turned out to be adventure of a lifetime.

It was not systems or bricks or money that I will remember. It is you beautiful, passionate and dedicated fellow travelers who have made the journey rich beyond measure or my ability to thank you. It is the thousands of kind. It is the sometimes exasperating, almost always curious and willing students whom I have had the immense pleasure of teaching and of knowing on a first name basis. I will miss you all more than I could ever say. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

I need to thank you personally. If I missed your name, it is for one of two reasons. Either I could not properly jog my faltering memory, or I’ve been calling you the wrong name for 24 years!

From the bottom of my heart, I thank Paulette A., Kelly A., Shawn A., Laure A., Nicole A., Deirdre B., Jennifer B., Erin B., Chris B., Peter B., Brian B., Joelle B., Brian B., Daniela B., Andrea B., Rick B., Joanne B., Catherine B., Denise B., Kelly B., Terra B., Joe B., Carol B., Janet B., Sandy B., Dan B., Mike B., Shelley B., Keith C., Bonnie C., Laura C., Michelle C., Pierre C., Ginette C., Claude C., Sue C-F., Teri-Lynn C., Roger C., Karen C., Mary C., Rob C., Mike C., Danielle C., Caroline C., Sonja C., Phil C., Dave D., Leo D., Frank D., Roseanne D., Carrie D., Marguerite D. (thank you for your incredible humanity), Liz D., Steve D., Ryan D., Robert D., Allan E., Derek E., Daniel E., Margia F., Kim F., Jeff F., Mark F., Christina F., Charles G., Wendy G., Gary G., Brad G., Melanie G., Dallas G., Cathy G., Barb G., Francoise G., Rob G. (my best friend and office mate extraordinaire), Richard G., Jean G., Ann G., Rick G., Pauline G., Dale H., Randy H., Tom H., Glenn H., Beth H., Valerie H., Jennifer H., Mary Anne H., Samantha H., Terry H., Heather H., Dave H., Arlene H., Paul H., Shandra H., Stephen H., Peter I., Patricia J., Jude J., Kim J., Leslie K., Peter K., Kathy K., Jim K.1, Jim K.2, Janet K., Elizabeth K., Kathy K., Mike L., Mark L., Linda L., Carole L., Linda L., Carol L., Steve L., Tom L., Diane L., Robert L., Peter L., Peggy L., Qun L., Barb L., Kim L., Suzanne L., Jan L., Tom M., Chantal M., Louanne M., Don M., Judy M., Beth M., Richard M., Tracie M-F., J-P. M., Peter M., Mike M., Lisa M., Karen M., Tara M., Bill M., Mike M., Jeanette M., Heather M., Anne M., Gerry M., Leette M., Shirley M., Yura M., Andrea M., Rebecca M., Janice M., Peggy M., Fraser M., Letitia N.-P., Amy N., Sandy N., Karugia N., Kathie N., Brian N., Dianne N., Stevie N., Rick O.,  Dave P., Rob P., John P., Lise P., Laurie P., Gary P., Gerard P., Joan P., Richard P., Janie P., Murray P., Dan P., Colleen P., Carrie P., Debbie P.-N., Robin P., Ric P., Susan P., Tom P., Jim Q., Joey R., Laura R., Bill R., Marty R., Traven R., Gail R., Susan R., Cynthia R., Finn R., Carrie R.-S., Sandy R., Lyse R., Jim R., Darren R., Cheryl R., Jill R., Kim S., Randy S., Trevor S., Monica S., Larry S., Kelly S., Chris S., Jocelyn S., Laurie S., Carmen S., Ron S., Trina S., Shawn S., Patti S., Caroline S., Bruce S., Harold T., Melanie T., Terry T., Dave T., Linda T., Susan T., Linda T., Jeff T., Darlene V., Joe V., Lynn V., Mike V., Mary W., Sandra W., Cheryl W., and Wendy W.

To Arlene, Sue, Laura, Gail, Charlotte and the rest of the library staff, thank you safeguarding our human heritage with such devotion. The library was always my favourite place in the whole school.

To Marilee, Gayle (my imaginary sister), Lenny, Louise and the rest of the cafeteria staff…thanks for 24 years of fattening me up.

Thanks to everyone at Nipissing U. who made my teaching there easier and rewarding.

Please keep in touch.  My email is theredcravat@yahoo.com. Let me know how my storytelling is working out in my weekly Small Victories column in the Community Voices (Nugget).

I wish you all health and happiness.

Bob

3 comments:

  1. Very Classy Bob, Thank you for taking on the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But did you win the fight!!?? Wishing you all the very best life has to offer my sweet friend!

    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete